18F-FDG PET/CT Scan
In order to better serve our referring physicians and their patients, Nebraska Advanced Radiology is in the process of expanding the services they currently offer. The PET/CT Scan is one of many new service offered by the clinic. The Nebraska Advanced Radiology offers multiple kinds of PET/CT Scans, including the NaF (Sodium Fluoride) Bone Scan and the 18F-FDG PET/CT Scan.
According to the National Cancer Institute, approximately 11.4 million Americans have a history of cancer, and more than 1.5 million new cases took for assessing the function of the heart. Positron Emission Tomography (PET) examinations provide the most effective method of diagnosing or ruling out some cancerous conditions.
18F-FDG PET/CT and Cancer Facts
- Uptake of 18F-FDG in non-small-cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) has shown to be several amounts greater than that of normal tissue.
- Small cell lung cancer also exhibits high 18F-FDG uptake.
- PET/CT has a 97% sensitivity rate in the evaluation of single pulmonary nodules.
- 18F-FDG PET/CT has a 94% sensitivity rate in the assessment of chronic infection in trauma patients.
- 18F-FDG PET/CT has the potential to alter the staging of disease, reduces the number of futile thoracotomies and CT biopsies making it.